Monday, March 1, 2021

Quick And To The Point: While I'm Talking Finales...

 

  I used to enjoy The Mandalorian. It was a nice, minimalist break from all the typical Star Wars shit that limited the very world of Star Wars. Finally we had a an adventure story that didn't revolve around anyone in the trilogies. The galaxy felt bigger, especially since it was a week-to-week serial.

   That all shrunk when [digitally de-aged] Luke Skywalker showed up for the most shameless hallway fan service since Darth Vader's hallway slaughter in Rogue One (a movie I hate on the whole, so this is double-fisted insult to injury). I guess I should have expected it, the mention that there was a Jedi Knight who'd be training Grogu, but it caught me by surprise - not in a good way, either. It was like feeling pee on a toilet seat right as you sit down. This is the kind of moment that kills every bit of interest I have in a show; I could not care less where it's heading now. And it's a shame, too, because Din's goodbye should have gotten me teary, but Luke's presence, alone, undercuts any little bit of drama that might have otherwise moved me.

   Every Star Wars story starts with "In A Galaxy Far, Far Away..." and, well, do you know how massive a fucking GALAXY is? Apparently, Disney does not. Of course character is more important than world-building but I'm tired of the same old characters again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment