Sunday, December 28, 2014

2015 Blind Spot Series

I never knew this series even existed until a month ago. I noticed people pick twelve and do one a month. While that is all cool and dandy, I wanted to go further. So I decided  to pick twenty films that were considered classics and are widely praised in film circles among critics and bloggers as well as filmmakers. 

Also, I want to give a spotlight to exploitation, horror, action, just all around fun genre pictures. So expect a feature on that for next year.

** Indicates the 12 of the 20 I decided I am writing about for sure. While the ones not indicated with the stars are ones I will either pair up with them or write about separately.


Sunrise (1928, F.W. Murnau)**
A silent film classic that is considered to be one of the greats.


Trouble In Paradise (1932, Ernt Lubitsch)
Screwball comedy from Lubitsch. I cannot wait to watch this.


You Can't Take It With You (1938, Frank Capra)
Capra + Stewart. Really enjoyed the other two films they have collaborated on. I need to see more Capra in general.


The Lady Eve (1941, Preston Sturges)**
Continuing my exploration through the work of Preston Sturges. I hope to check out Unfaithfully Yours, Miracle At Morgans Creek and The Palm Beach Story.


Mildred Pierce (1945, Michael Curtiz)
"Hey man, what's that other good film Curtiz did besides Casablanca?" Film noir containing one of Joan Crawford's most talked about performances.



Pickup On South Street (1953, Samuel Fuller)**
Samuel Fuller is slowly and surely becoming one of my favorite directors. His take on film noir should be interesting.



Ugetsu (1953, Kenji Mizoguchi)**
Kurosawa. Ozu. Mizoguchi. Seven Samurai. Tokyo Story. Ugetsu. Required cinema.


Throne of Blood (1957, Akira Kurosawa)
Kurosawa adapts Shakespeare.


Judgment At Nuremberg (1961, Spencer Tracy)
The late 50's and early 60's were the peak of the courtroom drama. 12 Angry Men, Witness to the Prosecution, Anatomy of A Murder, Inherit the Wind, Judgment At Nuremberg, and To Kill A Mockingbird. Of those, bother Stanley Kramer films Inherit the Wind and Judgment At Nuremberg Nuremberg have eluded me. I hope to watch Inherit the Wind soon as well.





Harakiri (1962, Masaki Kobayashi)**
I have yet to see a bad review of this samurai classic.

The Leopard (1963, Luchino Visconti)**
The Italian version. What detracted me from it was that it looked like a dream film for a cinephile with a stick up his ass. What attracted me towards it was seeing it be praised by the likes of Tarantino on the documentary Z Channel and Scorsese calling it one of the greatest films of all time. Ultimately making me tell myself: maybe I was wrong.

A Man Escaped (1966, Robert Bresson)
A toss up between this one and Pickpocket for my first Bresson film.

Playtime (1967, Jacques Tati)**
Still have much to look forward to in my Tati box set.

The Conformist (1970, Bernardo Bertolucci)**
One of my favorite films, The Godfather, was greatly influenced by this one. After Coppola saw this, he would go so far as to hire Vitorrio Storaro to shoot Apocalypse Now. This one's near the top of my must watch list.


Don't Look Now (1973, Nicolas Roeg)**
Been on my watchlist for years now. Thanks to Criterion, I can finally check it off.

Killer of Sheep (1979, Charles Burnett)**
Shot on a budget of $10,000, the film examines the black Los Angeles ghetto through the eyes of a slaughterhouse worker.


Broadway Danny Rose (1984, Woody Allen)
Gordon Willis + Woody Allen.


Malcolm X (1992, Spike Lee)**
I know. I'm ashamed too.


The Best of Youth (2003, )**
A six hour Italian epic worthy of devoting a day or two to.


Other classics I plan on watching

No comments:

Post a Comment