Thursday, June 23, 2022

"HEY, VENGEANCE!" Okay, I have something to say about THE BATMAN


  I know I said I had nothing to say about The Batman but this isn't something I've seen anyone else express, so I'm gonna:

  Colin Farrell is to this movie what Heath Ledger is to The Dark Knight, he's that fucking good. It goes beyond the outstanding make-up and the accuracy to the comics...he's just fucking GREAT here. It's one of the most idiosyncratic, charismatic, funny, layered performances of his career (if not the very best, though I do love him in Miami Vice, The Lobster, and Killing Of A Sacred Deer). He utilizes the make-up, he doesn't just wear it - so what if the top-hat and the monocle aren't there. Even Reeves' writing is fantastic because he's not just Goon #3 for Batman, he has a fully fleshed-out arc and one of the most exciting endpoints of the movie. Reeves thoughtfully integrates every villain into the world-building. The chunk of the movie where we don't see or hear from The Riddler and focus on Carmine and Cobblepot doesn't make me miss Riddler; no one upstages the other, they're all compelling. It's a Rogues' Gallery, after all.


  Just like with Ledger I'm obsessively quoting him and I don't just mean quoting the lines, I'm quoting their deliveries; he makes so many wonderful, odd, unexpected choices that I look forward to every scene he's in and I can't look away; he hijacks the movie every single time and this is a movie filled with wall-to-wall great performances (Pattinson, Dano, Kravitz, Wright, Turturro). Like, just the way he pronounces "proprietor" or "I AIN'T KILL NO GOIL!" makes me laugh so, when it calls for him to be funny, he's a fucking riot. But when it calls for him to be menacing, bewildered, angry, betrayed, disgusted, blithe, etc. he meets every demand with immense skill. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment