Friday, August 26, 2022

Windy City Haunts

 I've long debated doing this post. After all, if you don't live in Chicago, what good is this? I then reassessed and realized it would be of use. These are my happy places. Going to any of these coffee shops and reading a book I got from any of these bookstores. That is my idea of bliss. So if you ever visit Chicago, these are places I reccomend checking out: 

EATS



Kumas Corner
Location: Belmont

What is better than listening to heavy metal and watching horror movies? Listening to metal, with horror movies playing in the bakground AND devouring delicious beef. It's as if someone looked into my soul and said "Ya know what? I can take all your obessions and make a tangible place out of it." This isn't the only place on this list that feels this way. The genre movies that have played when I've been in there have all been choice cuts: Creepshow, The Exorcist, Donnie Darko, The Lost Boys, Prince of Darkness, The Evil Dead. 

For my last two birthdays, I've had one location I've wanted to go to in the city to eat: Kuma's. 

What I get: 
Sourvein
Goatsnake
Mastodon



Kizuki Izakaya Ramen
Location: Wicker Park, North Clybourn

What I get: The Garlic Tonkotsu Ramen (pictured above) is . If I'm feeling like an appetizer, the Chicken Karaage 


Garrett's 
Locations: 
What I get: The Garrett Mix

Mark Sommers did a good job explaining the lure behind Garrett's on Unwrapped. This stuff is my drug of choice. 

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KrmJJywFO3U" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BOOKS


Unabridged Bookstore
Location: Belmont

A staple of the Belmont community and easily the best selection of books in the city, Unabidged comes complete with staff selections, a huge LGBTQ section and a generous sales section. 

City Lit Books
Location: Logan Square

Before I knew about Unabridged, this was the bookstore I frequented. It was the first one I went to that had staff recommendations. A huge plus when navigating through a store and not knowing what to pick up. 


Bucket O Blood Books and Records 
Location: Belmont

Horror books. Horror movies. And a metal section in the vinyl area that puts most record centric stores to shame. Located right across the street from Kuma's Corner, it is impossible to visit one without visiting the other. 

MUSIC/FILM

Reckless Records
Locations: Belmont, Wicker Park
One of my holy grails was the Three Films by Teshigahara box set which included Woman In the Dunes. It was at the Wicker Park spot I managed to find a copy for a decent price. Another holy grail I found recently there: Vinegar Syndrome's 5 Films 5 Years Vol. 1: Golden Age Erotica. 

The Exchange
Locations: Belmont, Wicker Park

I primarily shop the used stuff here, which they have in spades. I came across the 2nd season of the Adventures of Pete and Pete at the Wicker Park location and just about peed my pants in excitement. 

COFFEE



The Brewed
Location: Logan Square

Like Kuma's and Bucket of Blood, it was as if someone walked into my brain and got a bunch of the stuff I'm passionate about: horror movies, coffee, horror movie soundtracks. The set up for this shop is a horror fan's wet dream. A TV that plays the Silver Shamrock on repeat, display's of vintage magazines, merchandise, trading cards, and other nifty artifacts. Posted adorn the walls that range from Demons to Zombi 2 to Hellraiser. Even the storage closet has an art design referencing the Candyman mouth artpiece in that film.

Wormhole Coffee
Location: Wicker Park

Ever wish you could go into a Cafe 80's? Well, keep wishing. Unfortunately there are no TV screens telling you to try the Hostage Special. But there is a Wormhole Coffee that comes the closest to achieving this dream. While there's no Pepsi coming out of the counter, there is plenty of delicious coffee to choose from. Plus poster's of 80's classics like Aliens, Ghostbusters, Beetlejuice and Gremlins. The main attraction is a DeLorean toward the back wall. This place is so committed to it retro vibe, that they have a Nintendo for guests to come in and play. 

Intelligentsia
Locations: The Loop, Monandock Center, Wicker Park, Logan Square, Belmont

The place where I first checked out third wave coffee and never looked back. If you want the best coffee has to offer, try any of these locations. I normally get whatever single origin they have in rotation. Then I get their signature drink, the Avena Latte. Avena Latte is a concoction inspired from South America. It has comforting flavors of cinnamon, ginger and vanilla with cayenne pepper on top. 


Metric Coffee
Location: 
After Intelligentsia, I threw out a hunt for what brand I should try next. Metric kept popping up. They only have one location in the Windy City and it takes some walking to get to if you are only using public transportation. But it's worth it. I've never had a bad coffee from them. 


Hexe Coffee
Location: Diversey

Hexe Coffee got its start making cold brew barrel aged coffee. This is where they put the beans in bourbon barrels and what results in a vanilla flavor in the coffee. After setting up shop, Hexe fully embraced its namesake. Their brand is folklore and horror themed. Boneshaker Bourbon, Painted As Monsters, Behemoth Dark Roast, Evil Friends and Blood Witch are the names of just some of their delicious brews. 

4 Letter Word Coffee
Location: Logan Square

The most recent coffee shop I discovered, 4LW is currently just a gran n' go place to get your fix. 








































No comments:

Post a Comment