Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Psychotronic SpookShow


Psy-cho-tron-ic
  def. denoting or relating to a genre of movies, typically with a science fiction, horror, or fantasy theme, that were made on a low budget and received poorly by critics. 


I know what I like. When I go down the rabbit hole it turns into a warren with many off beaten paths. Jess Franco, Jean Rollin, 70's and 80's exploitation, silent horror, Roger Corman productions, Val Lewton productions, Hammer, horror flicks from Japan, Italy and Spain, Paul Naschy, Universal Monsters. A constant thoughline connecting all of these is a mood. Be it gothic or grungy. The fog rolls in over the moors as a line of torches light our way. 

I know what I don't like. The slasher craze of the 80's, the new slashers of the late 90's, the new new slasher of the 20's.*

As I go through this season each year, the watchlist gets broader as my taste becomes more defined. There's just so many wells to draw from. Home Video has unlocked all of these burning desires. 

So I concocted a blanket term. Psychotronic is good but that also entails the genre of sci-fi and fantasy. Spook Show puts a magnifying glass on the horror aspect of the term. Plus, it cuts to the core of the vibes I want I want to be sending out. 



*some exceptions do apply

1 comment: