Monday, May 31, 2010

LOST Series Finale

Alright, so I had enough time to soak in the after effects of the finale. I've read many interpretations, arguments and discourses on the finale, so here are my thoughts:

Lost was NEVER a show that gave black and white answers. When it did give out answers there would be fans complaining that the answer wasn't good enough. An example of this would be the meaning behind the numbers. I understand the people who argue about parts of the show's mythology that ended up going nowhere. However, the finale worked for me. The more that I thought about it, the more debates I've heard, I still like the idea that a show can end and people can still have lengthy discourses on the meaning behind the ending. This is one of the key things Lost was about anyway. To simply close the book and go down a checklist of questions, yes you are going to be satisfied that answers have been delivered. But what further conversation can be had after that?

Lost from the very beginning was about the characters. The island was the big MacGuffin. The island is the excuse of "we'll keep watching it week to week otherwise it's a soap opera." You could strip the show entirely of it's mystery elements and what you have is a soap opera. You don't have the hook to reel viewers in each week, speculating on message boards.

Another gift of this show was the top notch acting. Terry O'Quinn, Michael Emerson, Matthew Fox, Henry Ian Cusick, etc. Then you have the film quality of the show. It pisses me off to no end when all I hear about people bitch constantly about this show when it was miles ahead of just about every show on network television at the time.

I commend the writers for creating such a vast and expansive world that shook the boundaries of television. The show was giving people a psychology test whether they liked it or not. It's telling you about who you are and what you need in your life. Some people need those types of answers. Other people are content without them. It can't be everything for everybody but there is something in there for everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment