Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Maybe it's in the trunk























At the age of 9, Scary Stories was a book I ended up borrowing constantly from the library & would eventually end up owning. I already had my fill of EC Comics (I'll expand later) and was looking for more short stories. Alvin Schwartz crafted some truly eerie and unnerving tales. The book was basically a compendium of tales born out of urban legends and folklore. But what left the biggest impression was Stephen Gammell's artwork. His images will creep under the skin of even the most hardened horror fan. According to wikipedia, the book is seventh most challenged 2000-2009 by the American Library Association for its religious viewpoint and violence.

While EC Comics kickstarted my love for the horror genre, Scary Stories to Tell In the Dark cemented it.





No comments:

Post a Comment